I especially love lazy Sundays when Alex decides to make lunch… and as luck would have it, today was one of those days! It’s cold and rainy outside so he decided on tomato soup and grilled cheese. He thickened the soup with some ciabatta bread, and smoothed it out with the Cuisinart hand blender that we got as a wedding gift. It was super quick and easy and the only thing that was missing was the fact that we weren’t eating it by a warm, cozy fire.
Easy Tomato Soup
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 slice bread, crusts removed, roughly cut into smaller pieces
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat until shimmering. Add onions, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently until onions are softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, bread, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
- With a hand blender (like this Cuisinart one from Crate and Barrel), blend at low speed until the soup is smooth with a few chunks. Add grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Serve with grilled cheese for dipping. Enjoy!