Whether I go to the gym in the morning or lounge in bed with a cup of tea and the newspaper, my best days are ones I start by doing something good for me. Breakfast has always been an important part of my day but since I’ve been making an effort to not settle for a bowl of cereal, it has become an even more sacred ritual. This green smoothie is one of my favorite things to make in the morning. It has the most amazingly fresh and grassy scent and gives me a boost of energy that I appreciate. I always enjoy it with a piece of toast, and often drink it while sitting in my favorite pink armchair. Whatever your morning ritual becomes, I promise this recipe will be a great addition to it!
Emerald Green Smoothie
Makes 2 tall glasses, takes 10 minutes.
- Leaves torn from 4 stalks of kale
- 1 hearty handful of baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut water
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 1 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 handful of ice
- Add kale and spinach to a standup blender. Pour in coconut water and blend for 30 seconds.
- Add celery, apple, and kiwi to the mixture. Blend until smooth, about one minute. (Use the liquify setting if you have it.)
- Toss in the ice and blend for another minute until smooth. The smoothie will be thick yet easy to pour.