You know how we all keep complaining about the cold? Well, the Michael Kors runway show today actually made me excited for it to come back! Between the mix-and-match shades of navy, gray, black, and brown, the layering of textures, and the amazing gold cuffs on that navy coat (above right!!), I can’t wait to have to keep warm next fall. As long as the summer comes first!
I have a weakness for gray in every shade, especially when it’s cold outside. I love it light-hued, heathered, and strewn across my couch in the form of a comfy, cashmere throw. I love it as a rich, charcoal turtleneck that warms my senses and my skin. I love matching it with shy pastels during the day and brazen metallics at night. I love it for its muted elegance and for its demureness. I love that I can spell it two different ways: gray or grey. And most of all, I love it for all of the possibilities it offers.
Shop the look:
- T by Alexander Wang Grey Scuba Stripe Jumper, $350. avenue32.com
- Burberry Beauty Nail Polish in Storm Grey, $22. saks.com
- J.Crew Covered Hangers, $22.50. jcrew.com
- Yves Saint Laurent Beauty Art Palette Eye Shadow – 01, $60. barneys.com
- Lulu Frost Ingrid Floral Crystal Necklace, $373. matchesfashion.com
- Patent Slipper with Tassels, $59.90. zara.com
- Valextra Cat Bag Charm, $250. barneys.com
When I was 18, one of my sisters went to Milan for a business trip and brought me back the most gorgeous chocolate brown suede Bottega Veneta bag I’d ever seen. It was micro-mini hobo style purse with Bottega’s signature intrecciato weaving throughout and, extending from the bottom of the bag, about 1 foot of soft, wispy fringe. Sadly I don’t have much use for the bag today since it doesn’t even come close to fitting my iPhone, but I will always cherish it and remember how daring and fashionable the fringe made me feel when I wore it.
Shop the look:
Fendi 2Jours Mini Satchel with a mink-trimmed Fendi “buggy,” available at barneys.com
Blame it on the snow–winter whites are one of my favorite cold-weather trends. From outerwear to handbags, shades of eggshell, ivory, bone, and vanilla should share rank in your closet alongside your cashmere and shearling. Here’s how to make it happen:
- Diane Von Furstenberg Fur Pompom Beanie, $96. matchesfashion.com
- Diptique Baies Scented Candle, $60. nordstrom.com
- Topshop Pleated Midi Skirt, $105. us.topshop.com
- Rebecca Minkoff Leo Clutch, $95. bloomingdales.com
- Alice + Olivia Once Upon a Time Embellished Sweater, $330. net-a-porter.com
- Givenchy Double Cone Shark Earrings in Mother of Pearl, $470. net-a-porter.com
- Aerin Cream Shagreen Heart Box, $130. aerin.com
I’m obsessed with Monique Lhuillier’s Instagram account. Whether she’s posting fabulous vacation pics or promoting a new collection, her photos are always an exciting addition to my Insta-feed. On Monday she posted a behind-the-scenes pic of models wearing her pre-fall 2015 collection–gorgeous silk gowns bursting with wild flowers and butterflies and coming alive with undulating folds of carefully crafted drapery. I saw this pic in the morning and honestly could not stop thinking about these dresses all day, daydreaming that I was sashaying around a black tie soirée in one of them. (Instead, I was at the office.) I’m still thinking about these dresses this morning, 5 days later… which is why this is my fave look of the week.
To get inspired, follow @moniquelhuillier now.
Balmain Cape-Effect Jacquard Jacket, available on net-a-porter.com